Sergio Estridge

Managing E-Learning, but Need More Skills

Hello all.  Hope you guys are doing great.  My name is Sergio Estridge.  I live on the island of Tortola, which is one of the British Virgin Islands in the Caribbean.  I work at a community college as the E-Learning Technology Manager and an adjunct lecturer in the Computer Studies Department.   Before I moved into E-Learning, I worked in the Information Technology Department.  As the E-Learning Tech Manager, I do a little bit of everything.  I am the Admin of the LMS (namely Moodle).  I search for, and install relevant plug-ins to extend the capabilities of the LMS.  In addition, I have integrated other platforms with Moodle such as Microsoft Office 365 (to create a Single-Sign-On environment), Cengage (E-Books), Big Blue Button (video conferencing), Turnitin (plagiarism), Wiris (STEM quiz questions) and SmartEval (evaluations).  This summer, I will be integrating Electude (simulations).  In addition to the technical aspects, I train the lecturers and students with Moodle and other platforms, and give tech support.  I also aid the lecturers with course design.  In addition, I assist the lecturers with prerecording lecture videos with voice-overs and embedding them on their Moodle course sites.  The last thing about my job, I also do other stuff for the E-Learning Unit, such as, planning, budgeting, purchasing, liaising with vendors and researching.   Finally, the reason I joined this academy is to sharpen some of my current skills and to learn new skills, such as developing using authoring tools.   In the future, after acquiring the new skills here in this academy and community, I will be able to enhance my contributions on the job, and also do some freelancing.  Again, nice to meet everyone here and I hope to learn much from our instructor and you guys - also, I hope that I can help others in some little way.

Like Comment